The digital world is a very amazing place to be in. You get an opportunity to meet new people and make friends from all across the world. It is an amazing platform for people to show their creativity and amazing content that they come up with. The writers, youtubers, journalists, photographers and the instagrammers are the people who use the digital platform to voice what they feel like sharing with the rest of the world.
But digital platform brings a lot of online hate and negativity along with itself. Dealing with haters online is not something easy. The negativity spread by the haters creates a massive impact on the mental health of a person. Being in the public eye the whole time brings a lot of attention to what you are doing and brings in a lot of constructive criticism. The main problem starts when a constructive criticism turns into a deconstructive criticism and puts forwards lots of hate and jealousy. Let us see some way on how to deal with online hate speech on a digital platform.
- Know who your haters are– What kind of comments a person posts on the social media platform speaks a lot about the person’s personality. You need to understand that a person who is constantly trolling you is most probably very sad and at an unhappy place in their own life. Just imagine if a person who is living a happy life would spend their time spreading hate and being mean to random people on the digital platform? People show hate on the internet only because they want to vent their frustration of their sad lives. Do not focus on such people who keeping trolling you on the social media for no good reason because their opinion does not matter.
- Difference between constructive and destructive criticism- Criticism is something that nobody likes. Taking in criticism and working on your flaws is one of the best ways to grow as a person. You just need to recognize whether the criticism is constructive or destructive.
- Just joke about it– A good trick to overcome the online haet from people is to laugh it off and not to take things too seriously. Take the negative comments sportingly and see how everything will feel better from that point onwards.
- Remove/ weed out negativity- If at a point you start feeling that a person is getting too much for you to handle because of the negativity they show, just weed them out. It is very easy to do it on the digital platform, you simply have to block them from all the social media platforms.
- Open up about it– Learn to open up about your issues. Talk to your friends and the people around you. You will come to know that everyone is dealing with some kind of hate in some form or another. Keeping yourself distracted from all this really helps. Everyone is facing online hate in today’s world so it is a good thing to talk about the problems that you are facing and let it out.
In this world where digital media is an important aspect of day to day living and you really cannot withdraw from it. It is completely up to you how you choose to deal with the hate that is thrown at your way. There are so many ways on how to deal with haters. Just don’t let the hate from unknown people shut you down or break your confidence. Don’t be afraid to show your true self. Some will love you and some will hate you, but you don’t have to get bothered by their opinions or even let their opinions get you down at any circumstances.